Sunday, May 2, 2010

Travels to Deserts and Forests

This is what happens when I miss too many days (weeks) of this exercise of writing something, anything, everyday. The deserts and forests get all mixed up and I end up writing vaguely about nothing. But something is better than nothing at all, and hopefully tomorrow I will be back for more. The daily writing fell to the wayside as I rode the roller coaster of nausea and fatigue, those two nagging but for me necessary, passages of change as my body grows a wee little being. That's right! We're expecting a baby the end of October. Needless to say, I had to let the daily writing go, as much as I hoped to look back on the year of truly daily writing as my friend who inspired this did at the end of her "Mother's Year of Gratitude" blog. So this will begin part 2 of writing something, anything, every day.

In mid April, we traveled to the desert to visit my aunt and uncle, my great aunt, and to experience the desert in the spring. Today, we returned from visiting my grandma and the dried-out forests and prairies of northern Wisconsin. The first is basking in what little rain fall and melt-off it receives and shouting out in its small flowers that speckle the road sides and catch my attention along the trails. The latter is begging for more rain after an entire month of nothing, not a snow flake or a rain drop, falling from the sky. But even there, spring will not be shut down. Next to the fire trucks parked at the ready for a call, impatient dandelions grow out of lawns that are greening up even as the lakes shores are wilting and boats struggle to find a place to get in.

No comments:

Post a Comment