Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Sun is Back!

I still hope for another snow fall that mounds snow on the fences and makes the low sidewalks disappear. I hope to awake to another morning where there are no cars on the streets and the sounds outside are hushed by a down comforter of snow. But I welcome the sun's strength back with open arms. Today we walked up the hill down the hill and over the pedestrian bridge towards campus. As we made our way over, the sun was hot on my coat and we could smell the campus barn. There was enough warmth in the air to smell the barn! For months the frozen air has masked any scents outside, except for car and truck exhaust. But today we remembered the cows living out campus life their own way. I was practically dancing down the street in the sun especially when I remembered that just two weeks ago on the same street walking the same direction (though from the parking lot, not from home!) my eyeballs were cold. It was sunny that day, too, but something has changed. I'm sure we'll have another cheek chilling day, but they are numbered. The sun has returned, or have we returned to the sun? Either way, we are happy to be in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment