Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Mid-winter speech time

Having a hard time even thinking much less writing after listening to the State of the Union tonight. I remember clicking around the channels as a kid looking for some station that wasn't covering the speech but every one was tuned into the President, whatever he had to say. I never could follow it, but had little choice but to watch it -- or go to bed early. This week I was looking forward to it and made sure the boys were in bed well before 8. I wanted to hear something -- anything -- other than the bantering that has been covered in the news. And I was not disappointed. President Obama encouraged, chided, joked, recalled, and looked forward all in the space of (about) an hour. My favorite was the chiding, of course, but I think the point that will stick with me was that government was not elected to do nothing (or wait, was that still chiding?). Hopefully that will be the time-out that congress needs to get working...together.

No comments:

Post a Comment